Monday, March 19, 2012

God is the Gospel - Day 1

http://dwynrhh6bluza.cloudfront.net/resources/documents/1738/sggg.pdf?1282936541
What's so great about heaven?
Q1: What will heaven be like? Why will it be enjoyable? How does my perception of heaven differ from popular opinion?
Honestly, I haven't really thought about heaven much. If I know anything of God's nature it will be not only better than anything I can imagine, but completely different than anything I can comprehend right now.
Why will I enjoy it? Because the best, highest Good will be there. And I'll see Him face to face and be like Him. That is what I was designed for. That is the greatest satisfaction and enjoyment I could ever experience.
How does my view differ from what's commonly understood about heaven? It seems that most people think of heaven as an escape from hardship. They get to leave everything unpleasant behind and live in a gold-filled, cloud city spa. In a huge mansion. Probably with a harp and angel wings. But regardless of whether or not there are gates made of pearl, it's going to be luxurious and nobody will ever be sad or have to do anything they don't want to. Oh yeah, I think God might be there too...
So could I be satisfied in heaven without God? I'll up the stakes. I think a better question is: If God were in hell (eternal torment) and sin and Satan were in heaven (eternal luxury) where would I rather be? The answer is, I would rather be where my treasure is. The only reason my heart desires heaven is because everything I treasure is hidden in my Father. I don't care where He is, I want to be with Him.
Q2: Why do I believe in Jesus?
The same reason I choose to believe in anything else. Because it's true. Because it's real. I cannot believe in something or someone simply because I believe the belief will be good for me. I cannot believe a lie that I think will help me. God help me, I believe in Him because I believe He is TRUE, not because I think I'll be blessed with a nice life and a get-out-of-hell-free card.

No comments:

Post a Comment